Diabetic Health published a good list of foods to avoid. They are a bit different from my list, but my list could use some improvement.
Here’s their list, with my comments:
- Flavored Water – yes, most are just sugar water, and 25g+ carbs per bottle or can.
- Juice – same as flavored water, and similar carb count. There are some low calorie and zero sugar substitutes, particularly cranberry drinks.
- Dried Fruit – this is fruit that’s often prepared by soaking it in sugar that’s so thick that it crystalizes.
- Sweet Condiments – I accept this as a fact, that these are mostly syrup: BBQ sauce, ketchup, tonkatsu sauce. I sometimes use tiny amounts.
- Energy Bars – the article says they’re candy bars. I say they are candy bars with pulpy fiber to make them taste worse.
- White Rice – avoid all rice, including brown rice. Avoid all grains, including bread and whole wheat bread.
- Artificial Sweeteners – I disagree with them. I don’t have a sweet tooth, and use 1 or 2 Splenda (sucralose) per day with my coffee.
- Pasta – more grains.
- Coffee Drinks – my ideal coffee is black. Next best is with some milk, and a sucralose. What the article talks about are those cold whipped drinks with a lot of cream and sugar.
- Cured or Processed Meat – I eat a lot of this stuff. It’s not good for health, but it’s so convenient, and sometimes, very inexpensive. I need to improve on this aspect of my diet.
Check out the original article: https://diabetichealth.today/diabetic-living/10-foods-to-leave-out-of-your-diabetes-diet/